Osteons, again

Like the last post, this one is about osteons.  Actually they're the same osteons I posted last time, but with a greater level of magnification.  The point is that we're looking at the same thing, at successively higher levels of magnification.

They don't look a lot like bone right now, but that's largely because they're blue.  The first layer of paint is blue because I find using a blue undercoat helps to create a satisfactory creamy bone colour.  That'll be the next stage in the project.



All three panels with their first layer of paint.



Close up of panel number three, which I hadn't started on last time I posted.


As I said earlier, I'm interested in the shapes of osteons that you can see in a piece of bone under a scanning electron microscope.  They look almost abstract and are highly textured.  Under very high magnification, osteons are made up of concentric rings of bone tissue, full of small holes and little channels, which is what I've depicted in panels two and three.  Here's a photo of the real thing for comparison:



Picture from Dartmouth


Panel two was done freehand, but since panel three is a magnified version of part of panel two I drew the shapes on a piece of paper, and then sculpted them.






They're made of paper and glue.  It turns out paper is a good medium to portray the concentric rings of an osteon.






This project will rely heavily on colour to bring out the shapes of the bone structure, so my task now is to paint the three panels.

Comments