Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Zombie teeth

My zombie's upper jaw now has teeth and gums.


These teeth are so much fun to make.  They aren't painted yet, but so far they're looking okay.  I made the teeth separately, glued them into the mouth, and then built up some paper pulp around them to suggest gums.  I left gaps where some of the teeth should be, because the idea of a zombie with a full set of teeth doesn't sit right with me.  I think the teeth should look damaged and discoloured, and some of them should be missing.




I did contemplate getting some acrylic teeth, but I didn't bother in the end because they're fairly easy to make.  I make them out of paper pulp and glue, and sand them smooth once they're dry.  People sometimes want to know how to get a smooth surface on paper mache and different artists have different methods.  Some people use gesso, some people use joint compound or similar.  But for something like this I find sandpaper is the way to go.

I've made a tongue too.  I hadn't put all the teeth in the lower jaw when I took this photo, but you get an idea of how it will look.


I'm quite pleased with the tongue.