Colours, textures, and a bit of Mondrian

My last post was all about scut-work, but happily I have something more exciting to talk about today.  I've always loved Mondrian's paintings of trees and his later abstract works inspired by trees, and because I've been looking at them a bit lately I got the idea to do a similar kind of thing on the base for the harpy.  The Mondrian-esque frieze will be wrapped around the base and uses green and blue colours similar to the colours of the harpy's feathers.  With this in mind, I decided it made sense to use feathers as the starting point for my abstraction, not trees.

Because it's going to be a sculpture base, I'm concentrating on making my feather panel decorative.   I like to think it has a certain Art Deco elegance.  It's years since I've done full-on abstraction, and I'd forgotten how much fun it can be.  I really should do it more often.





I don't know what you'd call this technique - maybe a collage or mosaic.  What I've done is applied different surface treatments to some cardboard and used them to form the pattern.  When finished it will only be 62cm long by 4cm wide, but it's taking longer than I anticipated because the pieces are so small.  

Comments