Paper mache devil horns: the armature

Devil horns are a Halloween costume staple, but this year I want to take the concept to another level.  I want to make a pair of horns that goes above and beyond the typical cheap plastic pair and really kicks some ass.

I’m using rams’ horns as a model, and I’ll be making them out of paper mache.  This will make them lightweight, cheap, and easy to make.  I’ll post the whole process as a tutorial so that if you feel inclined you can make your own at home.


Ram's horn armatures, all ready to be given a nice ram's horn texture

I’ve started with two armatures made from tinfoil, and covered them with glued paper strips to give them a bit more strength.  At this point they’re more or less the right shape, but lack the texture they need to really look like horns.  I’ll talk about that next time.

Comments