Now how in the world did that happen?

Usually when I ask myself that question, the answer is likely to be one or more of the following:
  • I was drunk
  • I didn't bother to read the instructions
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time

But on this occasion none of those alternatives apply.  What you're looking at here is India ink on a piece of glass.  It's just regular India ink - no additives or anything else, but for some reason it's made this strange crystalline effect when it dried.




I have no idea what caused the ink to dry like this, but I suspect it's related to the glass cleaner I used to get all the crap off the glass prior to painting it. Somehow the residue from the glass cleaner has reacted with the India ink.  If anyone knows the chemistry behind this, please enlighten me in the comments section.

In the meantime, I'm sure I can use this phenomenon to make some really cool paint effects.

Comments